Friday, August 21, 2009

How My Laptop Was Stolen

by Scott Pheulp

I had a laptop stolen about a year ago during a business trip. I was in my hotel room typing on my notebook when I suddenly realized the lateness, of the evening. I was already late for a date with a long time friend. I jumped up, grabbed my keys and rushed out of the hotel to pick her up. The date turned out absolutely great. However, when I arrived back at my hotel room the next morning, my door was slightly open.

My first thought was, room service was doing their thing. But to my surprise the room was empty. I quickly realized when I had rushed out of my room last night, I had failed to completely shut my hotel room door tight. Well, needless to say, my laptop computer was stolen along with some cloths and a few bucks off the top of my dresser. I felt sick at the bottom of my stomach. I had some important business files on the laptop. But lucky for me, I had a good backup of my data files, on an external USB flash drive attached to my key ring. My normal scheduled data backup was performed only a day prior to my trip. I felt a little better but really stupid.

I had lost a very expensive laptop, that was less than a year old. I was out a good $1500.00 dollars for the laptop. I called the police and made out a police report. Hotel management expressed concern and assured me they would look into it. I have not heard from them since.

A few days had gone by before my mind had started to settle down over the lost laptop. I began thinking about what I could do to prevent this from happening again. I searched the Internet for some possible solutions. What I found was a laptop lock under laptop computer security. A really simple and straight forward solution. Lock up my laptop with a security lock when ever I left it sitting alone and unguarded.

There was just no way I could watch my laptop 24 hours a day during my daily travels. I looked at several laptops locks from many stores. I decided on one that gave me the best theft protection for my money. Today I have several laptop locks. I carry one around with me in my laptop case to be used on trips. A few more securing a laptop at home and in my office.

Now this is certainly not the only solution, nor is it the best and is far from full proof. It will however, help prevent my laptop from being an easy target. And I have done something, so I can sleep a little bit better at night. Like the old saying goes, "something is better than nothing"!

Now for a short update: Lately I having been looking around for other solutions in preventing my laptop from being stolen. I have found a program on the Internet called Adeona. You install a little software program on your laptop. If it is ever stolen you can track it. The software will send back to an Internet server the physical location of your laptop. If you have a Mac it will even send a picture of the thief. You will than be able to give this information to the police, who hopefully will be able to recover your laptop. It sounds extremely promising. It is now installed on all my laptops. I only hope I will never have to put it to use!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Laptop Computer